15-MINUTE BEEF TACO BOWLEverything about Mexican food says ‘a good time’, but it’s actually balance in a bowl too: balance of our macronutrients – protein, carbs and healthy fats – and plenty of colour from a variety of wholefood ingredients boosting up the micro nutrient status – vitamins, minerals, antioxidants. Health benefits aside, another bonus of this delicious gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free beef taco bowl is that it takes just 15 minutes to pull together. Ready for it? Go!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
300g beef mince
1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
1/2 red capsicum, seeds removed, chopped
100g cooked black or red kidney beans
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
200g tomatoes (I use baby heirloom), cut into chunks
1/4 small Spanish onion, peeled and finely diced
1/4 cup coriander leaves, picked, stems finely chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves, finely sliced
Juice of half a lime
Sea salt and black pepper
Taco add ons
2 corn cobs, kernels removed
1/2 tsp smoky or sweet paprika
1 small avocado
1 cup red cabbage, finely sliced
1 tsp apple cider/balsamic vinegar
1/2 lime, cut into 2 wedges
2 handfuls corn chips
To make the beef
1. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add oil, onion, garlic, red capsicum and mince.
2. Cook for 5 minutes, breaking up the beef so it browns easily.
3. Add black/red kidney beans, cumin, sweet paprika and a pinch of salt, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
4. Transfer to a bowl, cover to keep warm and set aside.
To make the salsa
1. Whilst the beef is cooking, toss all ingredients together in a bowl, add Tabasco to taste and set aside.
To make the corn
1. Wipe the frying pan clean, place back on heat and increase heat to high.
2. Drizzle with enough coconut oil to coat the pan lightly, then add corn kernels and paprika and cook for 2 minutes. It should be lightly cooked, but golden in colour.
To assemble the taco bowl
1. Arrange the ingredients around the bowl and finish by placing half an avocado sprinkled with paprika on top.
2. Squeeze with lime and eat.