15-MINUTE KEY LIME PIE PROTEIN BALLSThese delicious morsels taste just like Key lime pie, all rolled up into perfect bite-sized, coconut-crusted balls of happiness. They are so zesty and summery that they will transport to you a faraway tropical location on your first bite.
I love using fresh lime zest in desserts to really make the flavour pop. I’ve added some vegan protein powder to these protein balls to make them a perfectly balanced and satisfying snack to take with you on the run.
Super simple to throw together, these are the perfect Sunday afternoon activity to set up your healthy eating goals for the week (New Year’s resolutions slipping already anyone?). They are naturally sweetened, packed with healthy fats from cashews and tahini, as well as a little protein to ward off those cravings until lunch/dinner time.
Just like a delicious Key lime pie only healthy, these protein balls are tart and zesty, but balanced out by a sweet, creamy filling and crunchy crust. Your summer time protein snack is now sorted!
1/2 cup rolled oats (GF if required)
1/2 cup cashews
5 medjool dates, pitted
1 tbsp tahini
1 scoop vegan protein powder, e.g. pea protein (optional)
1 tsp salt
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1/4 cup desiccated coconut (plus extra to roll in)
Takes 15 minutes. Makes around 16 balls.
1. Add oats to a high strength food processor and process for around a minute until roughly broken down.
2. Add dates and process again until the dates are finely chopped.
3. Add all remaining ingredients (reserve a little coconut for rolling in later).
4. Process until just coming together. If the mixture looks a little crumbly add a dash of water or almond milk until it begins sticking together.
5. Taking one heaped teaspoon at a time, roll the mixture between your palms until smooth.
6. Add desiccated coconut to a shallow bowl and roll each protein ball until covered.
7. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!