FROZEN SUMMER BERRY AND AVO BREKKY BOWLSNothing says ‘summer’ quite like some tasty, icy cold, fruity goodness and this recipe ticks all those boxes. With an extra kick of nourishing fats from avocado, it’s bang on for nutrition, with all the ingredients boosting that summer glow in your skin. It’s full of flavour and super simple too. The best part though? It tastes like ice cream and you don’t need to feel guilty about eating it for breakfast because it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free. Winning.
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen berries
Seasonal fresh fruit, granola/oats, nuts and seeds to serve (optional)
1. Place frozen banana, frozen berries and avocado in a blender or food processor and blitz until creamy and uniform in texture.
2. Top with seasonal fresh fruit, granola or muesli, nuts and seeds and serve.
This recipe serves one person
It’s important to freeze the banana and berries (you can use store bought frozen berries) the night before so that it creates the creamy texture in the bowl. The frozen banana and avocado provide great base ingredients for you to mix in other flavours that might be on hand in the pantry or fridge. For some extra va va voom in your breakfast bowl, try these delicious combinations too:
1. Frozen banana, avocado, tahini, vanilla, cinnamon, medjool dates and protein powder – to up the ante on the protein, increase daily intake of calcium from sesame, and ensure lovely even blood sugar levels from cinnamon.
2. Frozen banana, avocado, a spoonful of raw cacao powder and natural peanut butter – not only for a healthfully decadent breakfast, but also to kick your magnesium intake, energy and libido up a notch with cacao, and boost your protein and fats with good ol’ peanut butter.
3. Frozen banana, avocado, spinach, blueberries and acai – for the taste of an antioxidant super punch from acai, and extra iron and green phytochemical power from spinach.
Toppers for these bowls can go any which way you please, but if want to dress to impress aim for a good quality sugar-free granola, whole oats or ‘rawnola’, almonds, cashews, pepitas, sunflower seeds and linseeds, or a lovely dollop of natural, Greek or coconut yoghurt.