CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO TART WITH HAZELNUT CRUSTThis chocolate espresso tart with hazelnut crust is so silky-smooth and decadent – you would never guess that the secret ingredient to this perfect texture is tofu!
With a crispy, nutty crust filled with rich, velvety chocolate espresso mousse and topped with a thin spread of vanilla chocolate cream, desserts don’t get any better than this.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8)
1.5 cups raw hazelnuts
3/4 cup oats
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp almond milk (or water)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
600g silken tofu (make sure you use soft tofu, not firm)
140ml coconut milk
3/4 cup cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp espresso powder (optional – omit if you don’t like coffee)
2 tbsp tapioca flour
1 cup maple syrup (or your favourite sweetener)
VANILLA CHOCOLATE CREAM
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
Preparation/cooking time: 90 minutes
1. Preheat oven 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease a round springform pan (mine is 20cm wide).
2. Add hazelnuts to a high strength food processor or blender and process until finely broken down and resembling a coarse flour.
3. Add all remaining ingredients for hazelnut crust and process until just coming together. The dough should stick together when pressed between two fingers. If it’s too crumbly, add a dash of water or almond milk. If it’s too wet, add another tablespoon of oats.
4. Press crust mixture into the base of the pan, creating an even spread across the bottom and up the sides.
5. Place pan in the oven for 17 minutes, or until just golden, but not brown.
6. While the crust is in the oven, start to make the filling.
7. Add all filling ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
8. Pour filling into the baked crust and place back in the oven for around 35 minutes until firm to the touch (the surface of the filling may crack during baking – this is totally normal and will be covered up by the vanilla chocolate cream).
9. Add all the chocolate cream ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
10. Allow the tart to cool, then spread the cream over the top of the tart. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to allow the cream to set.
11. Serve the tart with fresh berries, an extra sprinkle of cacao powder, and cacao nibs if desired. Enjoy!