SUPERCHARGED TURMERIC SEED CRACKERSHaving healthy snacks on hand is a great way to balance your blood sugar levels between meals, meaning that you’re fat less likely to arrive at lunch or dinner ravenous and end up inhaling all your food. These supercharged turmeric crackers are packed with healthy fats, protein and whole grains, and they are so simple to throw together. They also contain a healthy dose of anti-inflammatory turmeric and ground flax seeds, which have been shown to reduce the risk of breast and prostate cancer. What more could you ask for?
1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 cup rolled oats (GF if required)
1 good pinch salt and pepper
1 tbsp fresh/dried mixed herbs (e.g. oregano, rosemary, thyme)
1.5 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F), line a baking tray with baking paper and rub with a small amount of melted coconut oil or olive oil.
2. Mix pepitas, sunflower and sesame seeds, oats, salt, herbs and turmeric in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, mix ground flax and chia seeds, then slowly add the warm water and whisk well with a fork as it begins to thicken. Add melted coconut oil and whisk again until completely combined (this mixture should now look like a thick gel).
4. Pour wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Spoon mixture over prepared baking tray and use the back of a large spoon to flatten the mix evenly over the sheet.
6. Score the mixture with a sharp knife into your desired shape to make it easier to break apart the crackers once they are cooked.
7. Place in oven for around 30 minutes, until firm to the touch and just beginning to golden.
8. Remove from the oven and carefully slide onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then break apart into crackers.
9. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.