Healthy Blueberry Muffins
This recipe uses the most amazing gluten free paleo flour that I have ever come across. It is the Australian made Paleo Flour Blend by Monica’s Mixes, available in health food stores throughout the Eastern Beaches. Monica’s blend contains organic and natural ingredients like nutritious flax and sesame meal, green banana flour from North Queensland (high in resistant starch), coconut flour, psyllium husk and tapioca flour.
Baking with this flour results in a fluffy texture that does not crumble, thanks to the binding power of the flax and psyllium husks. If you can’t find this product, a gluten free flour will suffice.
As for the rest of the ingredients, I have used delicious whole food ingredients including organic eggs, shredded coconut, blueberries, coconut sugar, freshly squeezed orange juice and coconut oil. There is no dairy, nuts or gluten, so this recipe is perfect for little people with school lunches in mind.
This recipe makes 12 mini muffins and only takes 20 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook.
12-hole muffin tray, lined with 12 muffin papers
¼ cup softened coconut oil
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup Paleo Flour Blend or gluten free flour, sifted
1 teaspoon aluminium-free baking powder
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup frozen blueberries
1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 190°C;
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil and coconut sugar until creamy and well combined;
3. While the motor is running, add the eggs one at a time and continue mixing until combined;
4. Slowly pour in the orange juice and keep mixing until combined;
5. In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder with the flour (you can now hang up the electric mixer as it’s time for a wooden spoon);
6. Add the sifted paleo or gluten free flour, shredded coconut and frozen blueberries to the mixture and gently mix with the wooden spoon until just combined;
7. Divide the mixture among the 12 muffin holes;
8. Transfer to the oven and cook at 190°C for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden;
9. Serve your blueberry muffins warm or at room temperature.
Store your healthy blueberry muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.