The Best and Healthiest Paleo BrowniesThese paleo brownies are the best and healthiest treats you will ever make. They are gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free. Made with medjool dates, raw cacao powder, coconut oil, almond meal and eggs, they are high in protein too.
So if you’re prone to a little comfort eating every now and then, there’s absolutely no harm in scoffing a few of these ones down, as the more you eat, the more your body will thank you (well, maybe not, but it certainly won’t knock you sideways into a food coma like an old school high-sugar version might).
I made this recipe for some seriously restaurant savvy foodies last month. It was my job to bring a special dessert. I knew that not all were keen on ‘so-called health foods’, especially coconut oil, so luckily this recipe does very well at masking the coconut flavour, yet maintaining the oil in question’s most wonderful health benefits.
I served mine with fresh berries and got a huge thumbs-up from everyone. If you’re feeling like you deserve more of a treat though, you could take it to the next level and throw in an accompanying scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream – yum!
Ingredients (Makes 16)
• 250g coconut oil
• 6 eggs
• 20 medjool dates, pitted (approx 325g after pits are removed)
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1/2 cup raw cacao powder, sifted
• 2 cups of almond or hazelnut meal
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 20cm by 30cm baking tin
• Food processor
• Large mixing bowl
• Wooden spoon
1. Preheat a convection oven to 160 degrees celsius.
2. Line a 20cm by 30cm baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
3. In a food processor, whiz the coconut oil, eggs, dates and vanilla until smooth and caramel-like in colour and consistency.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the raw cacao powder, nut meal, sea salt and baking powder. Stir with a wooden spoon until evenly combined.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until the batter is uniform in consistency.
6. Pour the batter into the lined baking tin and spread evenly into the corners.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes until just firm to touch.
8. Cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.