Spring Spiced Roast Leg of Lamb
Spring is off to a fantastic start, and now it’s time to add some spice. Turn up the heat on this easy roast using a succulent leg of lamb, marinated in yoghurt with some familiar and powerful spices to inject plenty of flavour.
What really separates this meal from the rest is the refreshing accompaniment of cucumber, tomato and coriander, and the crunch of freeform shaped papadums that cook in seconds.
This recipe will serve six hungry diners – an icy cold beer on the side is strongly recommended. Get your hands messy and indulge!
2kg leg of lamb
150gm plain natural yoghurt
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
3cm piece fresh ginger, peel and finely grated
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1 packet papadums
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
2 Lebanese cucumbers,
deseeded and chopped into small cubes
3 tomatoes, chopped into small cubes
1 tbs vinegar
Wedges of lemon
1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
1. Remove the lamb from the fridge and bring to room temperature.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
3. Prepare all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine.
4. Coat the lamb generously with the marinade.
5. Place the lamb in a baking dish and in the oven to roast at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn down the oven to 180 and roast for a further 1 hour and 20 minutes.
6. Prepare the cucumber and tomato in a bowl and combine, mixing in the vinegar.
7. Cook the papadums according to packet instructions and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
8. Remove the lamb from the oven to rest for 10 minutes and then carve.
9. Place the lamb on a large serving platter with the salad, papadums, coriander and lemon wedges.
Dana Sims is a Sydney-based food and prop stylist who has grown up in the Eastern Suburbs and loves to create delicious food for entertaining and family. She is inspired by the fresh produce we have access to here in Sydney. For ideas, recipes and styling inspiration, check out her Instagram, @stone_and_twine.